Leamouth

London ,United Kingdom
Leamouth Leamouth is one of the popular Neighborhood located in , listed under Landmark & Historical Place in London ,

Contact Details & Working Hours

More about Leamouth

Leamouth is the land, immediately west of the River Lea where it joins the River Thames at. Its northern half lies within a small meander of the Lea named after its reach as Goodluck Hope. The south-eastern part, known as Orchard Place is bounded by a local thoroughfare with trees, the remaining small East India Dock Basin, the Lea and the Thames.HistoryThis was traditionally the easternmost part of Middlesex and its economy closely mirrored that of neighbouring riverside Blackwall.The area has never had its own Anglican church so for services such as road maintenance organised by a vestry and poor relief it relied upon its ecclesiastical parish (of All Saints) Poplar. Indeed, the whole Isle of Dogs was until the late 20th century referred to as being Poplar or the Poplar District. Orchard Place was the name of its manor house on the spit; this had become an eponymous public house from 1800 - 60. When the docks were constructed, the area became isolated, with the only access via the dock road, from Poplar. Residents were engaged at the glass works, the iron and engineering works, or the Samuda Brothers, Orchard House Yard and Thames Iron Works ship yards. When the Thames Plate Glass Works closed in 1874, many of the hands - who had migrated to the area from Tyneside and St Helens in the 1840s - followed the glassworks to New Albany, Indiana. To house the workers, there were about 100 small two-storied cottages - built from the 1820s and condemned in 1935. There was the Bow Creek school (founded in 1865), but few shops, and The Crown, a public house, opened about 1840.

Map of Leamouth